cookieOptions = {...}; Heather of the Hills: The Beach

Friday, February 17, 2006

The Beach

I was quite envious of Joe when he went to Mexico. He called and told me that his hotel was right on the beach and that he left the balcony doors open at night so he could hear the waves on the beach below. Now, I am a mountain girl at heart and would not want to live anywhere but the Smokies, but there is another place that is a retreat for me. My grandmother hailed from Marion County, South Carolina, which is only a few hours drive from the coastline. I have grown up spending most summers vacationing at the beaches of the Myrtle Beach, SC area. The beach has always been a relaxing spot for me. You could imagine my horror and disbelief when after we were married Joe confessed his strong dislike for the ocean. He refused to take me to a beach for years! My parents showed pity for they knew of my love for the ocean. I went several years with them (minus my husband, but taking the boys). I always loved the little tradition that my father and I shared of going for walks on the beach in the evenings after supper. Those are some of the best moments of my vacations. We would some times just walk silently together or some times we would have long discussions on family. Being near the ocean is such a relaxing place for me and right now I would love nothing more than to be there listening to the sound of the waves crashing on the shore and to smell the salty air. Oh, to feel the sand under my feet and see the beauty of the ocean again!

2 comments:

BJ not BK said...

We still need to plan our family vacation at the beach renting a house for a week. When can we do this?

Heather said...

You will have to see what Joe says about vacation time. I am not sure how much he has after the trip with Linda.