cookieOptions = {...}; Heather of the Hills: Where are all the Cowboys?

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Where are all the Cowboys?

Ok, I was listening to Rush yesterday and heard a bit about the "Wussification of the American Man." During this segment he was talking about a father who went to confront a teacher's assistant who his daughter had said was inappropriately touching her (and she was not the only one). The father was mad that when he went to the school for a meeting the teacher's assistant was not in the meeting. The father asked the daughter to take him to where the man was so he could bring him to the meeting. The assistant was said to have "smirked" at the father when he confronted him, so the father punched him. The father was arrested for assault and a local radio station has dubbed him "Father of the Year." This brings me to the Cowboys. Rush said it well when he stated that women want to know that the men in their lives are going to defend them. He then plays a song that came out in 1996 called Where Have All the Cowboys Gone by Paula Cole.

Now, that said (and sung) I have to admit that most women want the John Wayne cowboy type of man. Rough, tough, doesn't take lip from anyone, stands up for what is right, yet also knows how to be a gentleman around a woman and how to treat her right. That does not make a man a wuss. Yet, there are so many men who were raised to be wusses and almost inferior to women. Many are not the protector and in charge of their families. The Bible states that men are to be the head of the household, but also to love their wives as Christ loves the church (His bride). It is a delicate balance and I like to think it is the best of men like John Wayne and Cary Grant.

This also makes me think of how wonderful times were when a man could be arrested for using foul language around women or children. I would love to see that kind of attitude displayed in men (even society as a whole) today. There are things that women and children should not hear and see. I guess you can call me old fashioned, but so be it. That was a time when men were men and women were women. Now, I am not saying that women should be treated like possessions (which most feminist will argue we are if we are not completely equal with men).

As for myself, I know that my Cowboy (AKA, Joe) would do whatever he could to provide and take care of me and at the same time would stand up and defend me if it was needed. That is just one of the things I love about him.

2 comments:

BJ not BK said...

This is a sad trend in our culture today. We are all seing a new generations of Metrosexuals being rasied before our eyes. Why? One reason is our sources for knowledge. TV, radio, internet, magazines, lack of a dad in the home. When you combine all of these and on top of that leave out God, God's word, then you are left with a frilly cocktail with a bamboo umbrella.

Heather said...

It is sad, but you hit the nail on the head, BJ.