cookieOptions = {...}; Heather of the Hills: Janeite clarification

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Janeite clarification

Okay, for those of you confused by something in my info (as my eldest son was) I will explain the one that I am sure has triggered some scratching of heads. You might be asking yourself what is a Janeite? Is it some strange religion? Maybe a secret society? I guess you could say yes and no. You see a Janeite is a person who is a devoted fan of Jane Austen’s writings. For those of you still exercising your fingers on your head, let me further explain. Jane Austen was an authoress from England who wrote six complete novels and several short stories. Her career officially started with the publication of Sense and Sensibility in 1811. Next came Pride and Prejudice in 1813. Following these two great literary masterpieces were Mansfield Park, Emma, Persuasion, and Northanger Abbey. My personal favorites are Pride and Prejudice and Persuasion. The life of Jane Austen lasted only for a short period, but she made an impression on many lives with her novels. There are even fans that write “fan fiction.” Fan fiction is where you write a story based on characters from any story, but changing certain events, characters or even the complete storyline. This is not just a phenomenon with Jane Austen fans. No, several other sites are around dedicated to fiction of Harry Potter, Star Trek, etc.

1 comment:

BJ not BK said...

Nice looking blog Heather! Great job. I will link you to mine soon. Looking forward to my daily blog fix.