cookieOptions = {...}; Heather of the Hills: Weekend Camping

Monday, April 28, 2008

Weekend Camping

After a weekend of camping I am still tired. I have not unloaded the vehicle yet, so I will have to come back later and edit the post to give more information as well as some pictures. Hold your breathe and I will be back later with more morsels!

Update:

Friday we went up to Cades Cove for a weekend of camping with the Cub Scouts. We spent the evening setting up camp then sitting around the campfire. Our leader made a chocolate cherry cobbler. It was very good! It was also great when we went to sleep with the wind blowing through the trees. It was so relaxing.


On Saturday we woke and prepared for a hike to Abrams Falls. I strapped Otter to my back and we set off on our hike. We had been concerned about the thunder and gray clouds earlier in the morning, but it cleared away for a great day. We made several stops as they tracked the locations on the GPS, then we made it to the falls. It has been many years since I have seen the falls, so it was nice to see it again. On the trail we also saw three deer. They got as close as four feet from me (I was in the back end of the line).


Later that evening we went on a hayride through the loop. We were excited to see lots of wild turkey and over 70 deer (all the older kids around middle school age were counting). We were especially hoping to see a bear. Early on in the ride there was a large group of people standing in one area, some with binoculars, saying they had spotted a bear. None of us saw one. When we got to the other end of the loop from that location we saw another large crowd. This time we did see the bear! I did not get a clear picture, but I will share a picture anyway. Otter enjoyed her first hayride, but fell asleep towards the end.


The rain and bad weather held out until after we left on Sunday. We were blessed with a good time and good weather. The three of us had a wonderful time. I must say that if we all go camping together as a family we will defiantly need a bigger tent!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are such a wonderful Mother.
I admire all your involvment with your sons and even Otter being part of the cub scout program.
Love,
Lady St.Anne