cookieOptions = {...}; Heather of the Hills: Sense and Sensibility

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Sense and Sensibility


Ahh...finally! I was so pleased to see the 2008 version of Sense and Sensibility.

Although, it could expand further on a few characters, I was pleased to see several of the characters that were left out of earlier adaptations coming out of the woodworks. The casting seems to have been much better as well. I was glad to see that Elinor was no longer looking closer to her mother's age(40) than her 19 years (Emma Thompson who played the role in the 1995 version was 36 years old at the release of the film, hardly looking like the 19 year old Elinor should!)

There were several parts that I had quite forgotten about, but after doing some quick glances at the book found were indeed in the novel. I had forgot about Edward's visit to the cottage, Willoughby's visit to Allenham, and the duel. There were also some scenes added in, which is expected. The most troubling was the start of the film. It was to show the seduction of the ward of Col. Brandon's. Jane Austen alluded to the events, but never more than second hand accounts.

Overall I am quite pleased with this version. It follows more closely to the novel and does not pass over as much as earlier works. This is now added to the list of my favorite movies!

No comments: