cookieOptions = {...}; Heather of the Hills: My Endangered Plants

Monday, April 06, 2009

My Endangered Plants

It seems that when you get men together to mow a yard there is always the inevitable killing of plants. I thought that my yard was safe, until within the last few days. Today I was outside, in the cold I might add, to look over the plants that are coming up right before our current cold spell takes effect. I had watched as my son trampled upon my lilies as he was turning the mower around on Saturday, but what I did not see was the most horrifying, atrocious act. I have always loved lilac bushes. Preferably the old fashioned lilac, but I enjoy others as well. I had last year purchased a Josee Lilac which is a beautiful pink and a rebloomer. I was so excited to see that it had grown from last year. How sad I was when I was out today and found it chopped down to a couple of inches and the copper marker in front of it was obliterated! I guess I must make sure to make a larger barrier around my plants until they are large enough to be noticed!Now I am left to hope that it is not killed by this act, but will grow back with no visible damage as quickly as possible.

3 comments:

Emily said...

You know, yellow tape seems to be a family favorite. Maybe you should try taping off your yard to indicate where you've planted your precious flowers.

Heather said...

Yes, maybe that would draw the attention of the males in the household! Good call! ;)

leon said...

Always the ones we care about most that can hurt us worst, even unintentionally. I suggest that nothing short of an iron cage with bullet proof glass would have prevented the travesty though.