cookieOptions = {...}; Heather of the Hills: The Yorktown

Monday, July 13, 2009

The Yorktown

We boarded the Yorktown and I learned that I was going to be staying in the "Officer's Quarters." It was SO sweet! The room I was initially taken to had four beds. I learned that another member of our group was in a room by herself. She offered to share her room with me. We went and looked and it had only two beds! I like the top bunk best, which was good since she had the lower one. The first evening was rather relaxed. I once again skipped the movie Tora, Tora, Tora! A group of us adults just sat out on the side landing and talked.


The next morning we took a boat ride over to Fort Sumter. This being my fourth trip I did not do much touring around. Butch was part of the flag raising ceremony, though instead of helping raise the flags he was chosen to lead the pledge afterwards.


Later in the afternoon we had free time to tour the ships. Since the Destroyer and Coast Guard Cutter were closed I did not plan to do much touring on the sub and the Yorktown. The boys each caught me and took me on tours on the Yorktown, though. In the evening there was a big celebration at Patriot's Point. There was live music, lots of tents set up with food, and inflatables for the kiddos. After dark we were treated to a wonderful display of fireworks off the deck of the Yorktown. I decided to try out the fireworks setting on my camera. It would have helped if I had my tripod, but I did the best I could. Here is a couple of my favorite shots.


No comments: